Saturday, October 25, 2008

Squash Casserole

Squash Casserole
(serves 12 - 14 - I usually make half, so have noted my subs)

3 lbs yellow squash (I use about 3 or 4 crookneck squash, depending on the size)
1 1/2 lbs zucchini (I use one large one)
2 large sweet onions, chopped (I use one)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I usually use one medium size one)
1/2 cup water
1 lb sharp cheddar cheese grated (I just eyeball this and use what I feel like)
5 ears fresh corn, cut and scraped from the cob (I use 3)
2 - 3 fresh jalapeno peppers (I use one, sometimes a serrano or whatever is available, doesn't seem to matter)
1/2 tsp salt (salt to taste)
1 pint sour cream (I use one cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash and slice squash and zucchini into thin rounds.
In a large heavy pan, cook the squash, onions, and bell pepper in 1/2 cup water over medium heat until tender. Drain liquid and mash with a potato masher.
Add the cheese, corn, peppers, salt, and sour cream. Stir to mix well.
Pour into a casserole dish, sprinkle some more cheese on top. Bake until bubbly or starting to brown. Serve immediately.

No comments: